This is the trowel used by Passmore Edwards when he layed the first stone for the Institute on September 20th, 1893.  The trowel is silver and bears the hallmarks for Sheffield, Mappin & Webb, 1892.

The Passmore Edwards trowel is on loan from the Trustees of the Passmore Edwards Institute, Hayle.

Copyright © Hayle Archive

Copyright © Hayle Archive

The inscription reads:-

Presented to

Passmore Edwards Esq

on the occasion

of his laying the

Foundation Stone

of the

Passmore Edwards Institute

at Hayle

September 20th

1893